I recently went over Arnold Shwarzenegger’s rules for success with my classes. I was aware of some of his plight to become successful, but did not know his whole story or how determined he was to come to America to become a leading actor in films. In a speech he gave for an educational group, he laid out his five important rules for success. Although these may seem very simple, many people struggle to work through these rules to be successful and happy in their own life. Yes, success is not always easy to find or maintain; that is why I love his story of perseverance so much. Schwarzenegger was told he was too muscular, his accent was too strong, and his name was not common enough to make it as a leading actor.
Those same limitations that other people placed on him were exactly what made him appealing, unique, and a Hollywood Star.
- Have a Vision! Set goals and have a direction to where you want to go.
- Think Big! Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you might just land among the stars.
- Do not listen to the Naysayers! If you have a vision and are thinking big, you will have critics; do not listen to them.
- Work your butt off! This is where many people fall short in my opinion. People want success right away and stop working when it does not happen to their desire. You have to be willing to work while you wait.
- Do not just take; give back! Once you have found success, pay it forward to others in your community or region. This will create a cycle that makes our world better in the long run.
Take a page out of Scharzenegger’s playbook and start implementing these rules to success today. If you are already doing these, do not let anything derail you from your process. Have a great week!
David Bultema - Founder & Executive Director